One of the first steps in treating crack addiction is to recognize a problem exists. Although it only stays in the system for a few moments, it may be detected for days or weeks post use. Learn how rehab supports treatment for crack cocaine addiction to help individuals recover.
Addiction to Crack
Treating addiction generally requires pharmacological and behavioral therapies but crack may lend itself more to behavioral approaches. Many sources of help for treating crack addiction can include doctors, therapists such as social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists along with detox clinics. Due to the addictive nature of crack, the signs and symptoms go all along the behavioral and emotional spectrum including the following:
- Abrupt loss of weight
- Always looking for money
- Lack of personal hygiene
- Constant sniffing
- Loss of interest in friends, family and pleasurable activities
- Mood changes
- Runny nose
Treatment protocols for individuals with addiction to crack include both pharmacological and behavioral approaches. Both approaches may be helpful in the treatment of crack addiction.
No medications are currently available to treat cocaine dependence and withdrawal. Detox clinics provide mainly emotional and social support during withdrawal from crack. Post acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS) from cocaine may be treated with antidepressants to cope with long term effects.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy can be tailored to support people addicted to crack. The therapeutic approach teaches people with crack addiction to spot then correct problematic behaviors through the application of an array of skills and tools to halt use. Community support is important including social and familial reinforcement. Two options exist:
- 24-week outpatient model
- Vouchers for community-based treatment approach
The use of vouchers is a community-based treatment approach where each urine sample submitted is rewarded with vouchers. Vouchers can be used to purchase food or other items. People who use crack cocaine will learn about positive motivation to engage in therapy and stop use of crack. Addicts will learn about factors crucial to addiction and relapse and seek help from a therapist to become educated about self-help programs.
The following are the best main sources for finding treatment for crack addiction:
- Crack addiction treatment center which is inpatient and lasts anywhere from 30 days to a whole year
- Crack detox clinic begins by putting person with addiction through detox where physicians will monitor individual symptoms
- Clinical psychologist or psychiatrist who specializes in crack addiction including licensed psychologists and medical doctors with years of training to help individuals overcome addiction
- Support groups including 12-step programs which offer a large community of resources
- Trusted spiritual or religious leader who provides spiritual intervention about overcoming addiction to crack or other substances
Rehab is a powerful tool in beating crack cocaine addiction. If you are struggling with addiction, detox and rehab are important first steps in the long journey to health and recovery.
If you are trying to quit crack cocaine or other addictive substance, the Villa can provide support for the journey to recovery. Call us to find out how we can help you find the best program for your individual circumstances.